Monday, June 06, 2011

Buying a Pizza

A couple of weeks ago, I called up Pizza Hut. I already knew what I wanted (2 large thin crust pizzas. 1. Ham & Pineapple. 2. Pepperoni & Sausage.) But, before I place my order, I ask what the specials are. The customer service person answered my question with a question: "How many people are you trying to feed?" A bit confused, I didn't know how to answer. Don't get me wrong. I knew the answer to his question... but I didn't know WHY it mattered to Yum Brands pizza hut specials. I answered, "Well, uh... Three, I guess." He then offered me the ONLY special available (for my parameters) was a single large at a rather robust price.

My next question: "Well, what if I had 100 people?"

His answer: "I guess I'd be trying to sell you a whole bunch of larges, I suppose."

Stop for a minute. In gaging the response that the ONLY special he could offer was based on how many people were going to consume the pizza in my home, I knew he could offer a better deal. Why, would he not assume that I also wanted to eat some of that pizza at lunch the next day... or cold for breakfast? Why would he not want a larger sale if he could land it?

I informed the sales person that I would love some pizza, but Papa John's would be supplying that pizza. Papa John's did, indeed land that order and it was delicious.

Fast forward a few weeks into today. I just got off the phone with a customer service person who was going to tell me it would be $129 + 169 to do a one-time service call OR, I could choose to pay $196 for a 6 month service contract to come service my acid neutralizer for our water treatment. I asked, "What would it cost if I paid once per year." Her response: "It would be $129 + 169 to do a one-time service call." This went on for what felt like an hour all while her phone beside her kept ringing and she would not let me explain that I REALLY wanted to pay once for TWELVE months... not once every SIX months.

For those of you who are mathematically challenged, there are two 6-month periods inside of 12 months... She didn't get that. And, I wanted a DEAL... a BARGAIN to pay once on 12 months vs 2x per year.

By the way, this their SERVICE department. The department that is in charge of getting money from the customers into their pocketbooks. The lady clearly refused to stop talking long enough to hear me explain the math of one payment per 12 month period vs 2 per 12 month period.

If you're tasked with answering the phones and offering service or products to someone, LISTEN. Listen to what they want... to the questions the customer asks. LISTEN.

I promise, it works better than not listening.

4 comments:

Rohit Singh said...

You are writting some interesting and Best content i also bookmark this url....You guys are writing some Amazing tips. This article really helped me a lot. Thanks for sharing this. Totally Awesome Post Please Keep Posting Regulary... you are totally awesome...
Gadgets 360 Coupons Code & Offer
Easemytrip Coupons Code & Offer
Travelguru Coupons Code & Offer
Bookingcom Coupons Code & Offer
Chaipoint Coupons Code & Offer

Riya Sharma said...

document sharing sites list 2018
pdf sharing sites list
best free document sharing sites
document sharing sites list 2019
free document sharing sites list
document sharing sites free
document sharing sites 2019
document sharing sites 2018

Tony Stark said...

You are writing some interesting and Best content i also bookmark this url. You guys are writing some Amazing tips. This article really helped me a lot. Thanks for sharing this. Totally Awesome Post Please Keep Posting Regulary. You are totally awesome.
Dronex pro
Dronex pro reviews

Itachi Uchicha said...

You are writing some interesting and Best content i also bookmark this url. You guys are writing some Amazing tips. This article really helped me a lot. Thanks for sharing this. Totally Awesome Post Please Keep Posting Regulary. You are totally awesome.
fixd-reviews
photostick review
superboost wifi booster
xone phone review
gx smartwatch review
dronex pro review